Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers

Friday, October 23, 2009

Friday, October 23, 2009



Three stowaways trapped in the bathroom on the U.S.S. Nightmare. That is how Sheila, Jordan and I felt for a good while this evening. We were hoping for an early bedtime on our last evening in China. But Eden decided not to cooperate with our plans. She has normally been quite the easy baby, falling asleep each evening without much coddling. We were hoping for the same tonight, but to no avail. Our plans to finish up some last minute packing while Eden slept were thwarted by our now, spunky little girl.




Usually, all we need to do to help Eden fall asleep is to turn out all the nights. In a few minutes she’s out cold. Not tonight. Every time we thought she was asleep and turn the computer on to finish blogging or the closet light on to finish our packing she’d stand up in the crib ready to play or just laugh. Finally, all three of us hid in the bathroom and attempted to read while Eden fell asleep. It was so funny. After several minutes we would gently sneak out of the bathroom to check on Eden who seemed to be waiting on us so that we could play some more. Then it was off to the bathroom again for the three of us, trapped like stowaways, waiting for our little one to drift off to sleep. You had to be there. We could not help roar with laughter.

It’s amazing. We’ve had Eden for less than two weeks and she’s already the puppet master, pulling strings and making two adults and an older sister run and hide in a bathroom until she falls asleep.

Well, we are finally finishing up our adoption journey in China. Today was a pleasant day; not much going on. We tried to keep things low key. Breakfast. Shopping. Lunch. Packing. Shopping. Dinner. And yes, more shopping. I love my wife very much but how she discovers reason and reason for gathering more stuff is beyond me. I guess she’s right. Buying a pair of shoes at $3 a pair versus $15 a pair at Target when we get home does make sense. But I’ve had enough. The people are generally sweet, but oh so very shrewd. They’re out to make a living. It’s all part of how things are done in China.

We’ll leave for the airport around 6:45 am and then begin about 26 hours of traveling. Please continue to pray that all goes well and keep praying for the baby crib on the plane.

Often I’ve heard the question, “How does it feel?” referring to Eden’s adoption. Sheila and I have asked that question to one another many times. Sheila continues to use the word surreal to describe her take on things at present. The journey was difficult in getting to this point. Adoption is never easy. It’s just never wrong. There is so much up and down in the process of adoption that when you finally do get your child you almost don’t know how to let your emotions be truly free, especially when you’re thrust into chasing down a 2-year old.

We love our newest daughter very much; no less or more than our other three children. We’ve missed out on so much with Eden; her first tooth, her first steps, her first words and her first smile. But God knew exactly what He was doing in matching us with this precious gift.


I find myself doing the same things with and for Eden that I still do for my other children. I think of Eden non-stop, just like my other children. I look at her while she sleeps and bask in the wonder and glory of Almighty God, just as I do with my other children. I pray for and dream of her future in Christ, believing that God will bring her to faith in Christ at a young age and use her for His glory in serving the needs of the world, perhaps even return to her home country, China. I’m totally overprotective and am ready to pounce the moment I think she is threatened in any way.

I marvel at our new daughter and the personality she has already developed. Eden is loving. She is warm and affectionate. She is a determined little girl, not wanting to give up the smallest of tasks until she succeeds. She is spunky and independent; she knows what she wants and wants it right now. She is so beautiful. She’s like a beautiful little doll you would see in the old Marshall Field’s on State Street in Chicago, delicate and spectacular in every way. She is sweet and kind, already wanting to do things to please us. She has the best stare; sometimes serious, sometimes quizzical, and at other times very deep. She is playful and fun to be with. She is easy. I’ll probably want to take that last statement back in a few years. She has a funny strut about her, especially when wearing her squeaky shoes. I love the way she holds my pinky finger when we walk together. Each of my other three kids did the same. That’s a great dad feeling. I love the way Eden has bonded so well with Sheila, Jordan and me, and look forward to the love that will develop between her and her older brothers. Christopher and Micah will be amazing big brothers.


Eden's first Merry Go Round Ride


I’m just so glad Eden is our little girl. In a word, I’m blessed. God has done more for our family than I could ever ask or imagine. Our lives are forever blessed because of this precious little one. I hope to be a good dad and even calm down a bit. Intensity runs in the Peters genes. Sorry.

I must also say a word about my dearest wife, Sheila. What an amazing person. And although she is many things; wife, daughter, sister and friend; she is above all a godly woman who loves Jesus and one terrific mom. You should see the way she is with her newest daughter. She’s amazing. Eden will grow up knowing that even for that very brief time she was apart from her mother, she was always in her heart, and there she will remain forever.

See you in 36 hours. Can’t wait.

Blessings,
JP

Safari tour





1 comment:

Sharon said...

Safe travels! I can't wait to hear how Eden wraps those boys around her little finger when she gets home. They will never know what hit them!

Much love from the KY cousins.