Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 (Late in the evening)
Nicknames. My mother is the esteemed giver of nicknames for our children. She usually comes up with a combination of something very cute with something very Yiddish. I, on the other hand, have decided upon a most deserved nickname for our daughter, Eden – Jaws. Here is the funny and nearly tragic story.

I mentioned before the ferocity of Eden’s eating. She tears into food like it is no one’s business. She’ll eat non-stop if we let her, inhaling her food. She also doesn’t like to be messed with while eating. Yesterday, while eating at an Italian restaurant, Sheila went to tie a cloth napkin around her neck because we forgot Eden’s bib. Eden had already started to eat some pizza, her second dinner by the way, and when Sheila seemingly got between Eden and her food she was on the receiving end of a verbal tirade with some serious finger pointing. Sheila said, “I’m not sure, but I think she just cussed me out in Chinese.” It was hysterical.


The next thing that happened was the funny and tragic part. We also forgot Eden’s sippy cup. I suggested that Eden drink from the bottle of water I had. I was out voted and told to put the water in the cup. I did. I then watched my daughter take a drink and then heard a terrifying sound. Now remember, she’s drinking water so the only sound should be the sound of swallowing. What I heard was the sound of glass shattering. Sure enough, as I gently pulled the glass from Eden’s mouth an entire section had been chewed off. The Jewish in me quickly panicked as a held Eden’s head forward and stuck my finger in the side of her mouth and guided out the broken pieces of glass. There were several. I hollered for Sheila who also quickly jumped into action and pulled more glass out of Eden’s mouth. Eden never cried. She never seemed upset that broken glass was in her mouth or that I was jamming my finger in for an immediate search and rescue. Eden was just fine. All the glass was removed. She never had a single cut in her mouth. And at the end of the panicked experience she went right back to eating pizza. God is good. Eden is tough as nails and is able to chew glass. JAWS!




Warming up Eden's dinner!

The end of our evening was most enjoyable. Eden’s personality turns very playful when it is just our family. We hugged and wrestled, laughed and played. Eventually, Eden fell asleep in my arms. Very, very sweet.

I must say a word about Jordan. She continues to be amazing. I wasn’t certain that taking Jordan with us and her being so far from home and her routine was the right thing to do. It was absolutely the right thing. This experience has helped all of us really grow in our understanding of people and culture. Jordan has learned so much. She and her little sister are best friends. They have bonded so well with one another. And I do believe having another child with Sheila and I has helped Eden connect well with our family. Jordan has also been such a help to Sheila and me. I am so proud of Eden’s sister and our vey special daughter, Jordan.





Wednesday, October 21, 2009


Today was actually a really fun day. Sheila took Eden for a quick TB check-up. Praise God – all was clear. We then had a very enjoyable breakfast with some new friends. The last couple of days have been quite wonderful, meeting new adopting families and hearing their miracle stories. They are countless and each one is so precious.
We met a mother today from Long Island, New York. She had previously adopted a little girl from China several years ago and has now returned to adopt a beautiful almost teenage girl. I kept thinking just how brave this young lady is to enter into a new home with a brand new family, a new country, a new culture and language after living 11 years in China. She seemed quite happy and well adjusted with her adoptive mother and sister but I’m certain there is so much fear to overcome. She is perhaps one of the most brave persons I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. The miracles of adoptions continue to amaze me.

After breakfast, I, (Jonathan) actually did some shopping with some other guys at the electronic market. It was fine but I’m a little tired from the games that are played. The copyright laws are very different in China and everything you can think of has been copied and cloned to sell at lower prices. You’ve never seen so much stuff. It’s actually pretty sick.

Sheila and the girls enjoyed some time at the pool. Mom and Jordan also decided to paint Eden’s fingers and toes. She loved it and did not want them to stop. Mom and big sister are thrilled to have another girly-girl.




The plans for the afternoon changed on us, but for the good. We were told that our Consulate appointment was moved up a day. Eden was dressed so beautifully in her Red, White and Blue dress embroidered with her name and given to us by our dear friend, Shannon. She was adorable and received many compliments.

The experience at the Consulate was very moving. The ceremony itself was more of a formality but seeing hundreds of families adopting these beautiful, beautiful children and so many of them with special needs; it was a special and very emotional experience.

Here is my quick soapbox on adoption. It is so right in every way possible. If I were not a pastor and I decided to dedicate my life to serve one cause this would be it – hands down. We’ve met family after family whose lives have been forever enriched, both the newly adopted child and the existing family, because of the choice to adopt. I met a man today who was adopted when he was 4 years old. He has no memory of his biological family. Together, he and his wife have 9 children. He always knew that he would adopt children as an adult. He knew how much the choice someone made to love him and bring him into their family forever changed his life and knew he was called to do the same. I make no apology as one who hopes to help people consider eternity right now. Adoption is at the very heart of God. I hope many of you choose this path for your own families. You’ll be forever blessed.

The remainder of our evening was spent enjoying a lovely dinner with new friends at our favorite Italian restaurant. This time we brought Eden’s sippy cup. But she did scarf down the Gnocchi and Jordan’s chocolate cake. Jaws can throw it down. I think she can give the guy from Man vs. Food a run for his money.

Well, it’s off to bed now. We have a free day tomorrow and then wait to receive Eden’s passport and visa on Friday. Saturday morning can’t come soon enough. We miss home and the boys so much and look forward to beginning our new life with Eden with our church family and friends.


Blessings to you all. Please continue to pray for us on our last days in China and as we travel back to the states.

Blessings,
Jonathan

7 comments:

Teri Woodward said...

I so enjoy your stories, Johnathon, you should really consider writing a book, any book, but one that involves your adventure in China. So, sounds like Eden just might be my new best friend, all I gotta do is invite her over to eat, and well, the rest will be another story to tell. Can't wait to see you all.
Prayers and blessing to all of you.
Tell Jordan and Sheila hello!!
Love you all, Teri

Teri Woodward said...

Oh, I almost forgot. I would like an 8 by 10 of Eden holding the shopping bags. That a girl!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm loving following you all as Eden becomes more and more your daughter! God has blessed our church over and over by bringing these adopted children into our family. I CANNOT WAIT to see what they will all do and how they will serve the Lord.
Love you all, Jan

Continuing to pray for you all, I know your boys will be happy to see you all, too.

Shannon said...

Oh how you can have us laughing one second and tears falling the next! We can't wait to have you home and to hear you sharing your heart. I am so thankful for the kids coming home, but still heartbroken for the ones who wait. So many, to many who will never know a family. We continue to pray that more and more will answer the call. By the way, try the pigeon, we had that in Guangzhou and really liked it!

Kelly said...

Great post once again Johnathon; you truly have a way with words...Thanks again for sharing this journey with us..What an AWESOME journey it is!!!

Sharon said...

Enjoy your last bit in China! I know you are anxious to get home, but realize you need to soak up all of China while you can. Sharon

Unknown said...

Yes, ditto to EVERYTHING everyone said because I would be repeating. Thank you for sharing your story with us. Victor was the same with his food and tho he didn't eat glass his first meal home was cat food. I remember at his orphanage it was one bowl of soup to three boys and he cried and I cried. To this day he can out eat me but he also seems to have the metabolism for it.

Love you all. Julie H.