Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers

Monday, October 12, 2009

Today's blog is submitted by Jonathan.


Today was a special day. As has been my normal routine, I rise all too early, around 1 am or so. But throughout my late night fits of sleeplessness I would stand over my new dauughter and watch in pure wonder at the gift of God's grace to our family. Eden Grace's given name, "Xiu" means "graciousness". Indeed our Master has planned this precious gift of His grace to our family before the earth was formed. The psalmist penned these words in Psalm 16, "Lord, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; and have made my lot secure. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance." I cannot help but continue to weep in praise to the Lord. He has done more for me that I could ever dream.

Today's events follow. We let Eden sleep as late as possible before we were forced to move about and prepare for our meeting at the Office of Civil Affairs. After a hearty breakfast we arrived at the office around 9:00 a.m. Our guide and the director of the orphanage accompanied us. Basically we spent an hour or so signing documents stating our wish to adopt Eden and our promise to China that we will always care for her, never harm her, and provide her with a beneficial education. Of course, we readily agreed to all directives.

The highlight of our time at the office was watching several other families receive their children for the first time. We are so grateful that we were able to welcome Eden yesterday in private, but at the same time, it was wondrous to watch families melt with joy at the first sight of their child. The caregivers and those responsible for the orphanages do care very much for the children and the parents who are adopting. I have been marvelously impressed with the personal love and attention shown to the children by those who care for them in the orphanages. In some ways, Eden faced some challenges today because of being around people she has bonded with over the last two years. But she was a trooper for the most part.

After our time at the office we took a required family picture and then came back to the hotel room. Eden slept a good while but woke up very fussy and stayed that way for a good portion of the afternoon. She had a fever of nearly 101 for a while, but it came down with prayer and medicine. She seems to be doing well now. Please keep her in your prayers today. Tomorrow will be especially challenging because we will take a 4 hour taxi ride to her birth province. There we will spend a little time making things legal. Eden will be officially ours tomorrow. We will also see her orphanage and meet her caregivers. I'm sure this will be very difficult for Eden and us as well. But it will be good to see the place of her home these last 2 years and meet those that God has used to love and care for her. I think it also important for us to be able to talk with Eden when she is older about her life before she came to us. Please pray for our family and especially for Eden's well-being.

Most of the afternoon has been spent in the hotel room. We played lots and lots. Eden already knows what she wants in life; lots of hair bows and pulling Jordan around to fulfill her every whim. Jordan by the way, has been so special. I have loved watching her mature and serve with joy and selflessness. Eden enjoyed running up and down the halls and playing a combination of London Bridges/Hide and Seek/Follow the Leader. It was tons of fun.

We are now heading off to get a bite to eat and then turn in early tonight. Please pray for good rest and a successful day tomorrow.

Our love to you all. Our journey is all the more rich for being able to share it with you.

Jonathan


              






8 comments:

Diana Goleaner said...

God is faithful!! Tears flow freely as I read about your "Gotcha Day" and look at the pictures. I prayed Eden would know you as her Mommy and Daddy, and it sounds like she did.
Love and Prayers for the rest of your "journey"!

Anonymous said...

Amen. Amen. Amen. Tears flowing with such love and joy for your family! Dianne M

Anonymous said...

All of this is just to wonderful for words.! See you all soon, Love Karen

Kelly said...

Thanks for sharing your heart...What a beautiful post.God's continued blessings upon you and your family.

Dawn Garris said...

I cannot begin to describe how excited we are to see you holding your daughter in your arms after praying for you all for so long. We are continuing to lift you up while you are over there. We pray every minute will be precious. I also think it is amazing our daughter's have the same Chinese name. We kept Xiu as one of her middle names. May God continue to bless you each day in China!!

Anonymous said...

What a blessing, I was just looking at Mavery's gotcha day pictures, what a difference! Eden belongs with you & looks so happy. God Bless, can hardly wait to see & hear more.

Sharon said...

Love following the saga...maybe Lily and Jordan can "text" re: the joy/struggle of going from baby girl to big sis!

Praying for Eden to get past that fever!
Sharon

Lisa F said...

I am so choked up it is a good thing to type and not have to talk. I am so excited for you guys! You and Jordan got a girly-girl! When I came in church Sunday morning and saw Shannon L's bright smile I knew something was up! She said I missed their call but they got her!

Praying for the fever to stay down, smooth transition at her former home, and continued bonding with the three of you until you can re-unite with the boys!

Christopher did a great job at rehearsal at JH. I was very proud of him. I will be checking in with Wendy today.

Love you guys to pieces. Hugs (for Sheila, Jordan, and Eden) and Punches (for Jonathan my little brother). =0) Just breathe!
Lisa F